Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Spinets

http://www.holburne.org/muse/search/item.cfm?MuseumNumber=A375
Tis the season for Christmas music to be on ad nauseum.  One song that I keep hearing recently is We Need a Little Christmas which contains a line about singing carols at the spinet.  So in the spirit of the season let's look at the beauty that is this lesser-known musical instrument.

Spinets are the harpsichord's less popular sister...well in terms of notoriety at least.  They sound just like a harpsichord but the difference lies in that, unlike their big sister, they only have one set of strings so are a little more simple (check out this video of my colleague playing a harpsichord if you're not quite sure what I mean). Spinets are also smaller and tend to be 'bentside,' meaning they are a bit triangular and fit conveniently against a wall.  They are basically the basically the upright piano to the harpsichord's grand.  Therefore, if you weren't raking in Mr Darcy's income, you may have still been able to afford a spinet so as your daughters could tick off 'music' on their accomplished young lady checklist.  Despite being slightly more middle-class (if you will) spinet craftsmen still created some glorious pieces; so without further ado, let's fill our eyes with them.

http://alastairlearmont.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/blessed-st-cecilia-fashionable-places-of-amusement-public-entertainment-in-edinburgh-in-the-late-18th-century/









8 comments:

  1. They're mainly the basically the upright piano to the harpsichord's grand. Due to this fact, when you weren't raking in Mr Darcy's income, you may have nonetheless been in a position to afford a spinet in order your daughters might tick off 'music' on their accomplished young lady guidelines.

    https://afrossip.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second spinet shown is in George Frederick Handel's house in London. Bach, Purcell, and other composers owned and played them too, as did Pepys of "Pepys Diary" fame. That's good company, "middle class" not withstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tis the season for Christmas music to be on ad nauseum. One song that I keep hearing recently is We Need a Little Christmas which contains a line about singing carols at the spinet. So in the spirit of the season let's look at the beauty that is this lesser-known musical instrument. gul ahmed lawn 2015 with price , lawn 2016 with price

    ReplyDelete
  5. All thanks to Dr dawn acuna for her amazing work, I have been married for 8 years with no child,i have tried everything I could but nothing worked until I saw a post on the internet about how Dr dawn acuna has helped so many people, I wrote to her on Whatsapp and explained everything to her, she promised me that everything will be fine with me and she gave me some instructions which I did all perfectly, two weeks letter she asked me to go to the hospital for a text and to my surprise the doctor said I'm 1 week pregnant everything has been alright with me and my husband since then and now I have my beautiful baby boy, all thanks to dawn acuna, if you are having any difficulties im your life,
    *If you want to get pregnant.
    *If you want to return your loved one.
    *If you want to stop miscarriage.
    *If you want to cure any kind of sickness.
    *If you need a spiritual power.
    *If you want to recover your stolen money or property.
    And many more. Contact her she will help you: email { dawnacuna314@gmail.com }
    Whatsapp: +2348032246310

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is simply great and i could assume you're an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.cuckold amatoriali italiani

    ReplyDelete