Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bookspotting: Mistress of My Fate

Some of you may be well aware of my love for Hallie Rubenhold's biography on the scandalous Lady Worsley, Lady Worsley's Whim (The Lady in Red, in the US) which I just couldn't put down.  Fans of Rubenhold's work and historical fiction lovers alike should be pleased to know that Ms Rubenhold has taken a small break from her nonfiction writing to pen a novel set in our favorite century, Mistress of My Fate: The Confessions of Henrietta Lightfoot.  Says the author:
"[Mistress of My Fate] the first in a series of French Revolutionary / Napoleonic era novels which features the adventures of Henrietta Lightfoot, accidental courtesan, card sharp, actress - and later - spy, governess and art forger as she winds her way through a Europe in upheaval."
Accidental courtesan and spy? No, that doesn't sound like something this group of polite readers would enjoy at all! To further whet your appetite the book has a fun website that has 18th century recipes, beauty tips, and a quiz to find out what kind of courtesan of the time you would be. 

What has my curiosity going is that some of our favorite tart-ish friends make appearances in the book.  From my examinations of the website, Lady Lade and Gertrude Mahon are characters that appear in the book, and given Ms Rubenhold's excellent grip on the century, I am sure she will paint a fabulous portrayal of these most colorful and interesting women of the time.

Mistress of My Fate is now available to UK readers, but never-fear US readers, this tartly tale is due to hhit shelves next year.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book. I'm tempted to order it from Amazon.co.uk because I don't think I can wait for it to be published her. Hallie Rubenhold is one of my idols. I was lucky enough to get her to write a blurb for Scandalous Women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tryed the French Macaroons on my birthday, last tuesday. The recipe is for, let's say, quite some people! When they came out of the oven, they tasted really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I have to dust off the stove then!

    ReplyDelete