Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Book Review: Behind Closed Doors

When I saw Amanda Vickery's new book, Behind Closed Doors: At Home in Georgian England I gasped dramatically; or maybe even squealed obnoxiously. Either way, I was in public and I was very excited. Vickery's book, The Gentleman's Daughter, was a study of the lives of women in Georgian England and packed with great information on the daily lives of women. Now the eighteenth century historian is venturing into the comforts of the Georgian house to paint a picture of people's relationship with and within the home. The result is enlightening.

Behind Closed Doors opens with a description of the average day of a landlady, which to some, might not sound incredibly exciting, but to me was packed with information I had rarely thought about. And that is kind of how Behind Closed Doors is; you pick it up wondering just how Georgians lived their day-to-day life and you get the details of things you wouldn't normally wonder at, such as the fact that a landlady domineered your living space if you were a renter. The book is just packed with information. Vickery takes you through the ins and outs of living in the time; her feminist background surfaces every once in a while to deliver information specific to women's perspective. Topics include, but are not limited to the actual house, people's relationship with the house, bachelor life, wallpaper obsessions, and so on and so forth.

One of my favourite chapters was titled, Setting Up Home and was all about how women found a freedom in marrying because it allowed them to redecorate and therefore put an ownership in their new home. This was both an important and acknowledged part of a well-bred woman's life. Vickery uses examples from famous spinster, Jane Austen's novels which made me begin to question that it wasn't just the men our Austen heroines fell in love with, but their dwellings, for as Vickery puts, "It was a truth universally acknowledged that a Georgian house with a drawing room, French windows and a lawn must be in want of a mistress." Amen to that; I'd say that still holds true today! After Vickery cites multiple examples from Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, and Mansfield Park she moves on to real life examples, one of which was a household in the same place I once lived, to my own personal delight. Her amazing research shines through with specific examples of how that particular mistress badgered store-keepers in the neighboring town so as to have the house fitted to her liking. Most chapters take a similar path, combining evidence from personal diaries, documents and contemporary writings to discuss the many aspects of the Georgian home.

I found this book to be a delight. Although the topic of the book may not be in everyone's interest, it should be picked up by those interested in social history, women of the eighteenth century, and historical homes. Those that enjoyed City of Laughter will likely enjoy this read. Vickery's research on individuals read like short stories of a novel, weren't stuffy or boring, and were always conducive to the point she was trying to portray. I think readers of this blog will especially appreciate the sarcastic little remarks she manages to sneak in her descriptions of those she researched. It just goes to show how well she got to know them and isn't it nice when an author-researcher knows their subject? Behind Closed Doors is on shelves now and will compliment anyone's eighteenth century library.

15 comments:

  1. ...and there it is! Lying on my book shelf, waiting to be read and enjoyed! I loved The Gentleman's Daughter and City of Laughter and I love all those little everyday, practical details of domestic and everyday life so I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks for the tip and Merry, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might end up being one of those rare books that I buy new, without waiting for it to end up in a used book shop or on one of the swap sites. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered this book Sunday and am waiting for it to be delivered. Can't wait. I've heard only good things about it so I'm hoping I won't be disappointed. I don't think I will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the suggested read, I will look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want that book... found it on another page a while ago and added it to my amazon wishlist to buy when it will be published... yeah! cant wait to order...

    great post btw... your blog is always the first i check when logged in into blogger.
    have a happy xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw thanks Emmeline! It should be out now for only £14.09 which is cheaper than stateside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, I heard her series on the radio about the History of Private Life!

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/history-of-private-life/

    On the wish list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With the 20% holiday discount, my member discount and the free shipping, it came to $25.92 at B&N. I didn't think that was too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am reading this & recommend it to anyone interested in the Long Eighteenth Century [1688 - 1832 or thereabouts]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so champing at the bit for this one. The Gentleman's Daughter was excellent, so I have high hopes for this. Another favorite of mine is Ladies of the Grand Tour. Oh, and Mistresses of the House. Better stop now before I get warmed up. ;) So many books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read The Gentleman's Daughter earlier this year and really enjoyed it, so I've been eying this one since I first heard about it. I also have City of Laughter on my shelf. I will look into Polonaise's suggestions for Mistresses of the House, as that's one I do not have yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is being made into a television series in the UK! Quite exciting :) It's not started up properly yet though so might be a year or two before it gets onto the TV. Will probably be BBC when it does.

    Apparently Amanda wants Matthew Macfadyen to play one of the characters (I can't remember his name - a very cold sort of man, featured in her book a few times, I remember his child dying and him not being too bothered... nice).

    I'll update you if I hear anything more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really! Now I am very curious since it didn't really have regular characters in it. I loved the book so I would love to see the series! I must find out more somehow!

    ReplyDelete