Thursday, April 2, 2009

New Internet Toys!

I got an email the other day from Tom who wanted me to check out the website he's been working very hard on, Creative Spaces. The site is a compilation of the collections from some of the UK's most sumptuous museums. So if you're looking for a fab picture of a stomacher, instead of going to the V&A and doing a collections search and then going to the National Gallery and doing the same thing; you can merely go to creative spaces, type in "stomacher" and the site searches nine museums for you. Not too shabby! Just like many of the larger museum sites, you can store your finds in a "notebook" or save them to Favourites. Not bad at all! You can also join similar interests groups; Joanna from the 18th Century Blog already began an 18th Century Fashion group. You can even give status updates from your profile. The end result is like a facebook for art historians.

In order to get a feel for this new site I decided to make my own notebook, collecting various artworks that the museums had in store. It was quick and easy, and there's even links to quickly share it on other social networking sites like Twitter or Bebo. I would recommend checking the site out. Even if you're not into the social networking thing I would bookmark this site for the next time you need a hot picture of the Prince of Wales.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I was also made aware of this Creative Space, but wasn't sure about the practicality of it- maybe it's just a matter of getting used to. How do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. I think the more you use it the more uses you will find for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I hadn't heard of it, but it's really handy! And thanks for the suggestion.. what do you think I'm looking up right now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm I'm guessing some hunks in tight breeches

    ReplyDelete
  5. You caught my attention when you said FACEBOOK for ART HISTORIANS...can you search motifs like you can on the Bridgeman site?

    ReplyDelete